What’s in a Wellness Product?
The Science & Regulatory
Here at goop, we recognize that we are in a unique position within the wellness industry, and because of this, we have both a responsibility and an opportunity to create the gold standard of quality around the ingestible products we sell to demonstrate their safety and efficacy.
We have a scientific and regulatory portal for vetting the ingestible products we sell at goop. Our world-class science and research team uses an evidence-based approach to screen products’ ingredients and claims.
We began by developing standards for our own goop wellness ingestible products. For example, for our goop-brand products, we follow current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) set forth by the FDA, source and test quality ingredients, and thoroughly substantiate our claims. We screen for additional factors above and beyond what most companies require and identify new standards and measures to raise the bar in terms of quality. For example, we are mindful of potentially harmful herbicide and pesticide residue, as well as sustainability.
Having developed these standards for ourselves, we partner with like-minded, quality-committed brands. We are requesting extensive documentation sets, including product testing, heavy metal testing, and claims substantiation from our partners.
Here are some of the ways in which we will deliver on our promise that our products are made and sold with integrity; we demand from our ourselves and ask of our partners the following:
We make sure our ingestible products will serve you well by:
- Screening products to ensure that, while present in all plants, heavy metal levels are within safe parameters
- Evaluating ingredient identity (to help prevent adulteration of botanicals and other nutraceuticals)
- Requiring appropriate allergen disclosures
- Requiring microbial testing
We will review relevant scientific literature to help ensure:
- Accurate and truthful claims on our products (so you understand clearly why they work)
- Our products contain consequential doses of nutraceuticals and botanicals, rather than a dusting (so you feel a difference)
The documentation we request includes:
- Product Claims Substantiation
- Accurate and Compliant Nutritional/ Supplement Facts Panel
- Finished Product Testing
- Allergen, Non-GMO, and Organic Documentation
- Hazard Analysis and/or HACCAP Plan (where applicable)
- Certificate of Origin
- Prop 65 Compliant Label