If you're storing these for longer than 24 hours, wrap each one in parchment or wax paper to keep them fresh.
Salted Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
These addictive gluten-free ice cream sandwiches are bomb. A little sweet, a little salty, and wonderfully reminiscent of an Oreo cookie, we plan on always having a batch in the freezer.
½ cup hazelnut flour
1 cup Cup4Cup gluten-free flour + extra for rolling out the dough
¼ cup raw cacao powder
1 large pinch kosher salt
1 stick room temperature unsalted butter
½ cup coconut sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
flaky salt to sprinkle
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Whisk together the first four ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Combine the butter and coconut sugar in a large bowl and cream together with your fingers. When the mixture is light and fluffy, mix in the vanilla extract, then stir in the dry ingredients; work with your hands until the dough forms a ball.
4. Dust your work surface lightly with a little more Cup4Cup flour, then use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a ¼-inch thickness. Cut out as many cookies as you can and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, sprinkling each one with a little flaky salt. Re-roll remaining dough to a ¼-inch thickness, cut out more cookies, and continue cutting and rolling until you’ve used up almost all of the dough (bake the extra dough as a cook’s treat).
5. Bake for 12 minutes, then remove and let cool completely.
6. To assemble the sandwiches, place one cookie face-down on your work surface. Place your cookie cutter on top, and use a spoon to gently fill the cookie cutter with your desired amount of ice cream. Remove the cookie cutter, top with another cookie, and place in the freezer to firm up.