Sweet Potato Chips with White Bean and Basil Dip
We always crave something salty and crunchy at the beach, and these sweet potato chips really hit the spot. Served with a simple, pesto-inspired white bean dip, this combo is great as a stand-alone snack or part of a larger spread. Keep an eye on your chips as they cook—every oven is a little different, and you want them to be crunchy but not burned.
for the sweet potato chips:
1 large orange sweet potato
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
for the basil/white bean dip:
1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup packed basil leaves, roughly chopped
¼ cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon water
salt to taste
1. To make the chips, preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Scrub the sweet potato well, then use a mandoline to slice thinly (you want your slices to be about 1/8-inch thick).
3. Toss the sliced sweet potato in a bowl with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange the chips on two baking sheets, keeping the pieces as close as possibly without overlapping.
5. Place in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and set the timer for 15 minutes.
6. After 15 minutes, switch the baking sheet and bake another 15 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool.
8. While the chips cook, make the dip. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Originally featured in Four Easy, Beach-Picnic-Ready Recipes