How Do We Find Intimacy in Uncertain Times?
Gwyneth and her husband, Brad Falchuk, did a video call from their living room with intimacy teacher Michaela Boehm. In this moment of uncertainty, when tension in many households is running high, Boehm offers a framework to help partners process difficult emotions and reconnect with each other. They talk about why some people might find themselves wanting to have sex more during fraught times and why others might be struggling to feel sexual now. Boehm covers how to focus on a relationship’s strengths when you need them most, how to have “more constructive freakouts,” and how to build some fun into the day. The conversation wraps with a simple five-minute exercise for engaging with a loved one.
Boehm also suggests going through this list of questions with your person to foster compassionate communication:
- •How are you feeling today?
- •Is there something I can do to help or support you?
- •What are your plans for today?
- •What do we need to discuss so that this day or week will work optimally?
- •What can we do together today that is fun or interesting or helps with our mental and physical well-being?
- •How can we support and help those around us?