Are you longing for your high school genes? So is… ambereen Strategy, 44
My body isn’t responding to diet and exercise the way it used to.
Designed for women who feel like their metabolism might be slowing down, and whose bodies are no longer responding to the exercise and diet levers they’ve always pulled, this protocol rejects the destructive—and false—calorie-in-calorie-out theories that have plagued too many of us. Not about a single definition of beauty or any other food-shaming/fat-shaming BS, it’s focused on balancing the hormonal, metabolic, and immune systems throughout the body that can leave us looking and feeling less than our best when not running smoothly.shop this vitamin regimen
THE HIGH SCHOOL GENES FOOD PLAN
This food plan is designed to reset the seven hormones of metabolism: estrogen, insulin, leptin, cortisol, thyroid, growth hormone, and testosterone. The basics, along with delicious recipes that follow the rules, are below.
Foods to eat:
- 1 pound of vegetables per day (focus on non-starchy vegetables, particularly if you are trying to lose weight)
- 4-5 forkfuls of fermented vegetables daily to lower blood glucose
- Wild-caught salmon, Alaskan halibut, Oregon steelhead, shellfish
- 50-75 grams of carbs per day
- Lentils and other legumes
- Ample filtered water
Foods to avoid:
- Red meat and pork
- Sugar and sugar substitutes (stevia is okay)
- High-fructose fruit (limit to 25 grams per day of fructose)
- Caffeine (a little green tea is okay if you need it/aren’t sensitive to caffeine)
- All grains (including corn and gluten-free grains)
- Dairy (organic ghee is okay)
- Toxins (from BPA plastic, non-stick pans, non-clean beauty products, etc.)
RECIPES TO ROTATE IN
Chia/Acai Smoothie Bowl
Why choose between an antioxidant-packed acai bowl and a nutrient-dense chia pudding when you can have both?
The combo of kale, dandelion, and parsley makes this super green juice perfect for detoxing. It gives a boost of vitamins, antioxidants, and aids in digestion.
Egg Drop Soup
Egg drop soup may seem like an odd breakfast, but this fortifying bone broth is actually the perfect thing to drink in the morning.
Miso Sweet Potatoes
These potatoes are a super tasty and easy addition to any meal. They’re also great to make ahead for our miso sweet potato collard wrap or to eat as a snack.
Lunch & Dinner
Lentils with Salmon & Grilled Radicchio
Restaurant-quality food at home always feels like a treat, and this dish certainly qualifies.
Laarb Lettuce Cups
Thai laarb meets Chinese lettuce cups in this easy, quick, and addictive mash-up detox dish.
IS THE HIGH SCHOOL GENES PROTOCOL RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you answer yes to more than three questions, the protocol is a good choice for you—if you answer yes to three or more questions on multiple protocols, we recommend choosing the one that addresses your most acute need. (Learn more about: Why Am I So Effing Tired, The Mother Load, Balls In The Air.)
- Do you gain weight easily, and/or have difficulty losing weight?
- Do you sometimes experience rapid weight gain, particularly at the waist, hips, and butt?
- Do you crave sweet foods? If so, have you tried to stop eating them but found that you couldn’t? Is it difficult to stop eating carbohydrate-rich foods, such as chocolate, ice cream, or french fries?
- Have you been told your blood sugar is higher than normal, or do you know that it is greater than 85 mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter)?
- When you go without eating for more than four hours, do you feel shaky, anxious, or irritable?
- Is your waist measurement 35 inches or greater (at the belly button) and/or do you have a BMI greater than or equal to 25?
- Have you been told that you have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), a condition that includes irregular periods, acne, increased hair growth, and sometimes infertility and cysts on the ovaries?
- Do you have, or suspect you have, an underactive thyroid?
UNDERSTAND YOUR HORMONES
Hormone imbalances can have a huge impact on our weight and ability to lose extra pounds (not to mention everything else about how we feel). Decoding them, and working with them, rather than against, is paramount to our health as we age.
What to Do If Your Thyroid Is on the Fritz
From weight gain (or loss) to exhaustion, brain fog, depression, anxiety, and dry skin, thyroid…
Hormones, Weight Gain, and Infertility
Dr. Laura Lefkowitz received her M.D. with honors in OBGYN, Psychiatry, Internal Medicine, and…
Yep, it’s Perimenopause
Every woman is pretty familiar with the signs of menopause—unbearable hot flashes, thickening waists, moods that fluctuate wildly—but…
How to Not Look Old & Tired
In the appropriately named, 10 Reasons You Feel Old and Get Fat, beloved goop contributor, Dr. Frank Lipman unravels a litany of myths…
Can Vitamin D3 Heal Autoimmune Diseases?
A major—far more than the standard recommended—dose of vitamin D3 could be one of the keys to…
How to Clear Hormonal Acne
Whether you’re 47 or 17, male or female, whether your breakouts are once a month or multiple times a week, the reason …
RETHINK YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO DIET & FOOD
Beating yourself up pre- or post-eating is rarely (if ever) effective, and almost always destructive. There isn’t a one-step, magic fix-all—you would have found it already—but some self-love and targeted perception shifts can go a long way toward a healthier, happier, much more balanced food mindset.
The Kitchen Healer: Relieving the Shame of Not Cooking
We’d long heard rumors of Jules Blaine Davis, The Kitchen Healer—a woman in Pasadena known for…
Changing the Way We Think About Food
Nutritionist and frequent goop contributor Shira Lenchewski has built a robust business in Los…
Why It’s Hard to Lose Weight—and Why Most Diets Fail
Diets come, and diets go—but one saying seems to persist: Weight loss depends on calories in versus…
Why “Low-Calorie” Foods Stop Weight Loss
While the world—thanks to documentaries like Fed Up—is getting wise to the sugar-induced…
THE FOUR BODIES
So here’s a pretty compelling and revolutionary idea that incidentally, also makes a lot of sense. According to Jill Willard (the intuitive who…
Spirit Says: Healing Foods
While the way Anthony William works is undeniably otherworldly, his recommended health regimens are blissfully practical and attainable…
GET TO KNOW THE LYMPHATIC SYSTEM—
AND EFFECTIVE EXERCISE
Hardcore exercise doesn’t have to be your thing: Below, some of our favorite means of movement with an eye toward boosting the body’s detoxifying lymphatic system for health benefits you can see and feel.
The Body Whisperer’s Fat- Flushing Workout
A series of body-toning foam-rolling routines, plus, low-impact, fat-burning rebounding moves…
The Lymphatic System & A Rebounding Video with Tracy Anderson
The lymphatic system is one of the more incredible inventions in our…
How to Get a Slimmer Waist
There are ways to slim and streamline the waist—a particularly poignant fact for post-partum women who believe that giving up…
Tracy Anderson on Aging Well—plus, an Ab Workout!
As we age, how can we stem the loss of muscle? And more importantly, how can we keep the skin attached…
A Kick-Start from Tracy Anderson
The number of goop bodies regularly under the influence of Tracy Anderson’s transformational…
Banishing Cellulite: The Foam Roller Detox
Integrative structural specialist and frequent goop contributor Lauren Roxburgh is a bit of a magician.
Get the goop wellness emails
Get on the goop mailing list to receive wellness emails with expert doctor advice; easy, nourishing recipes; and simple-to-implement tips. Plus, every week periodic text messages will get you first in line for all major goop announcements.