The Fall Denim Guide
It’d be one thing if finding the perfect jeans was solely contingent on taste, but more often than not, it’s a delicate balance between what appeals and what flatters. In preparation for fall, goop staffers with all different body shapes stepped out of their denim comfort zone to try something new.
- The Ask: “I’ve yet to find a boyfriend jean that works for me; my thighs and butt are muscular for my height (I’m 5’4), so I always feel like the slouchy fit makes me look short and wide.”
- The Solve: The key is to find a pair that sit higher on the waist, but are a bit more fitted through the thighs. To keep legs looking long, roll up or tailor the hem so the ankles are exposed.
Atticus Turtleneck, Equipment, $298; Re/Done High Rise Crop, goop, $255; VALENTINO Ballerina Flats, Valentino, $975; CARTIER Tank Solo Watch, Cartier, $2,410; CARTIER Love Bracelet White Gold, Cartier, $6,750; Giles & Brothers Tiny Cortina Cuff, goop, $90
Deluve Brand Kim
faded high rise
boyfriend jeans Net-a-Porter, $725
Lina Jeans Mango, $69.99
The Castings High
Rise Cropped Jean Aritzia, $225
Wear it with
- The Ask: “I have an athletic build (muscular thighs, small waist), so I stuck to low-waisted boyfriend jeans all through college. Now that I’m getting closer to graduation, I’d like to find something more polished.”
- The Solve: As a rule, solid dark washes read more polished; ample stretch, a mid-rise, and straight leg go a long way in creating one long, lean line, especially when dressed up with pumps.
IRO Buddy Top, Shopbop, $340; PROENZA SCHOULER Motorcycle Jacket, Proenza Schouler, $2,490; AYR The Ciggy Jeans in Jet Black, AYR, $165; PAUL ANDREW Zenadia Pump in Midnight, goop, $675; Maria Tash 3 spike earring, goop, COMING SOON; BROOKE CORSON Heart Ring, Brooke Corson, $220; BROOKE CORSON parallel diamond ring, Brooke Corson, $770
- MiH Black Paris Jean goop, $170
- Levi’s 710 FlawlessFX Super Skinny Jeans Levi’s, $62
J Brand 620
Super Skinny J Brand, $198
Wear it with
- The Ask: “I’m constantly on the lookout for easy, not-too-tight jeans—I’m petite, and so I generally gravitate to pretty laid-back choices that aren’t overwhelming.”
- The Solve: Cropped jeans with a utilitarian, slightly vintage vibe pair exceptionally well with boots and equally casual separates. The goal to to find a fit that hovers somewhere between skinny and boyfriend.
CURRENT/ELLIOTT The Mandarin Shirt, Current/Elliott, $168; EQUIPMENT Sullivan Cardigan in Heather Grey, Equipment, $318; CURRENT/ELLIOTT The Utilitarian Jean in Propeller, Current/Elliott, $248; PIERRE HARDY New Casual Leather Ankle Boot, goop, $795; SCOSHA Ruby Earrings, Net-A-Porter, $560
- The Ask: “While I find mid-rise jeans to be the most comfortable, I’ve yet to find a pair that doesn’t create too much contrast between my thighs and ankles—which makes my legs look like drumsticks. I usually just end up wearing a lot of skirts.”
- The Solve: A culotte is essentially an approximated skirt, and when paired with even the tiniest heel they elongate and flatter legs. Stick to tops that can be tucked in to avoid looking frumpy.
Valentino High Rise
Denim Culottes Net-a-Porter, $1,190
Straight Culottes Topshop, $70
Culottes ZARA, $49.90
Wear it with
- The Ask: “I love flares, but I’m tall-ish and have no curves—zilch. I can never find a pair that’s long enough to wear with heels—and if they’re long enough, they’re too droopy at the butt and through the leg.”
- The Solve: High-waisted wide legs tend to run longer and straighter through the leg, which means they don’t have to be skin-tight.
NILI LOTAN Half Cardigan Stitch V-Neck, goop, $995; MIH Marrakesh Jeans in Bee Wash, goop, $230; VALENTINO Ankle Strap, Valentino, $995; BROOKE CORSON Single Stone Ring, Brooke Corson, $410; VITA FEDE Asteria Stud Hoop Earring, Vita Fede, $250
- The Ask: “I’m a mom, and I like high-waisted jeans that hold it all in a bit—but those often come as bootcut jeans, which don’t really work for me because I like to wear flats. I’m always looking for something straight through the leg that’s not a jegging, because, you know, I don’t need to look any hippier than I already am.”
- The Solve: High-waisted jeans that are slim through the leg but not super tapered—they work with both flats and heels, just in case something fancier is required.
IRO Shelton Sweater, Nordstrom, $240; ACNE STUDIOS Needle Jeans in Black (Visit Acne for more styles), La Garconne, $200; ANN TAYLOR Penny Leather Tassel Loafer, Ann Taylor, $98; Alison Lou Mrs. Ring, goop, $950; Maria Tash Diamond Huggie, goop, COMING SOON
FRAME Le Skinny de
Francoise goop, $239
Standard Jeans A.P.C., $235
Straight Leg Jeans The Loft, $69.50
Wear it with
- The Ask: “Skinny jeans are my everyday uniform and I’m very particular about length (ankle bone or shorter, please) and where they sit on the waist (not too high). Unfortunately, I feel like the only thing that works on top is some form of fitted tee.”
- The Solve: The beauty of a jean that doesn’t sit too high or too low is that you can do the half-tuck and still keep the waist defined, a move that works great with button downs, blouses, and knits.
ATLANTIQUE ASCOLI Boxy Fit Blouse, Farfetch, $550; CURRENT/ELLIOTT The Stiletto in Tavern, Current/Elliott, $188; MATT BERNSON Verona Pointed Toe Smoking Shoe, goop, $229; Vita Fede Bracelet, Vita Fede, $300; VITA FEDE Trix Crystal Ring, Saks Fifth Avenue, $225
Frame Le High Skinny
Jeans in Kings goop, $240
GAP 1969 Resolution
Skimmer Jeans Gap, $69.95
Joe Fresh Low Rise
Indigo Jegging Joe Fresh, $39
Wear it with
- The Ask: “In general, I like roomy, conceptual denim—yes, there’s such a thing!—but boyfriend jeans don’t seem very office-appropriate.”
- The Solve: Cropped wide-legs are essentially the trouser’s cool younger sister. The prerequisite to making this shape work is to balance with a heel—which conveniently is ideal for the office—and a curve-hugging top (a sleek blazer is our top pick).
Citzens of Humanity
Melanie Crop Retro Aritzia, $238
Matches Raey Flood
Low Rise Jean Matches, $179
Madewell Wide Leg
Crop Jeans Madewell, $128