Wakame can be found online or in the Asian foods aisle at most grocery stores.
Wakame and Zucchini Fried Rice
Wakame (the seaweed found in miso soup) is rich in many vitamins and minerals. The addition of wakame and grated zucchini make this a veggie-packed meal that even the pickiest of eaters will love.
2 tablespoons dried wakame
½ cup grated zucchini
½ cup grated carrot
½ cup shelled edamame
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons tamari
½ teaspoons grated ginger
½ grated clove of garlic
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Soak the wakame in a bowl of warm water. It will grow a lot, but it may take a minute.
2. While the wakame is rehydrating, combine the last four ingredients in a small bowl for the sauce and set aside.
3. Once the wakame is fully rehydrated, drain and pat dry with paper towels, removing any excess moisture. Transfer to a cutting board and chop finely.
4. In a wok, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the wakame, grated vegetables, and edamame. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. If it seems dry, add a little more oil. Add the scallions and brown rice, and cook for another 2 minutes or so. Add the sauce, and cook for another minute, stirring to ensure everything is well combined.
5. Serve with sesame seeds, if desired.