We use the Pomi brand pureed tomatoes that come in a box for this recipe.
Slightly creamy, slightly spicy, and totally comforting, this classic Italian-American sauce is always a crowd-pleaser.
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 28-ounce box or can puréed tomatoes
½ cup vodka
½ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese + extra to serve
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a dutch oven or large sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and tomato paste and sauté for 30 seconds, or until the garlic is fragrant. Add the boxed or canned tomatoes, bring the mixture to a boil, reduce and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
2. Add the vodka and simmer another 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the heavy cream and simmer gently for 10 more minutes (be sure not to boil the sauce at this point, as the cream might separate).
4. Add the sugar, taste for seasoning, and finally stir in 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese.
5. Serve with cooked pasta of choice and extra Parmesan cheese on the side.