If you can’t find Marash chili, use Aleppo pepper or a little cayenne.
Summer Melon with Crispy Prosciutto
If you’ve ever been to Italy (or an Italian restaurant) in the summertime, you’ve undoubtedly seen melon and prosciutto. The sweet melon and the salty prosciutto compliment one another perfectly, and make a delightfully easy appetizer or first course. Our slight modification involves baking the prosciutto, which adds lovely crunch, and a pinch of Marash chili for a bit of heat.
½ small cantaloupe, charentais, honeydew, or arave melon
4 thin slices prosciutto
marash chili flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lay prosciutto on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, remove rind from the melon and cut into 24 bite-size pieces.
4. When the prosciutto is ready, pull from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature (it will crisp up as it cools). Once cooled, break each slice into 6 pieces.
5. When ready to serve, place melon pieces on a large platter, sprinkle each with a bit of chili, and top with a crispy piece of prosciutto.
6. Serve with little forks, toothpicks, or simply encourage guests to pick them up with their fingers.