Springtime Pickled Green Tomatoes
Recipe courtesy of Valerie Aikman-Smith.
Green tomatoes are wonderful pickled and a great pantry staple to have on hand to brighten cheese boards and sandwiches. Seal in a selection of small or large jars.
3 cups of apple cider vinegar
¾ cup of Turbinado sugar
1½ teaspoons mustard seeds
1½ teaspoons green peppercorns
4 large green tomatoes, sliced or quartered
2 stalks of fresh garlic, sliced
Selection of sterilized jars with tight fitting lids
1. Pour the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, and green peppercorns into a non-reactive pan and bring to a boil over a medium heat. Turn down the heat and stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved, about 6-8 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 250°F.
3. Pack the tomatoes and garlic into warm sterilized jars leaving a ½” space at the top. Pour over the hot vinegar. Tap the jars on the counter top to get rid of air pockets. Wipe the jars clean and screw the lids on.
4. Place in the oven for 20 minutes to seal.
5. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. You will hear a pinging sound as each lids seals. Check to make sure that the center of the lid is concaved. (If a jar does not seal store in the fridge for up to 2 months.)
6. Label and enjoy!