Green tomatoes are wonderful pickled and a great pantry staple to have on hand to brighten cheese boards and sandwiches. Seal in a selection of small or large jars. (Recipe courtesy of Valerie Aikman-Smith.)
1. Pour the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, and green peppercorns into a nonreactive pan and bring to a boil over a medium heat. Turn down the heat and stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved, about 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 250°F.
3. Pack the tomatoes and garlic into warm sterilized jars leaving a ½-inch space at the top. Pour over the hot vinegar. Tap the jars on the counter top to get rid of air pockets. Wipe the jars clean and screw the lids on.
4. Place in the oven for 20 minutes to seal.
5. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. You will hear a pinging sound as each lid seals. Check to make sure that the center of each lid is concave. (If a jar does not seal, store it in the fridge for up to 2 months.)
6. Label and enjoy!
Originally featured in A Pickling & Canning Guide