Spiced Vanilla Pudding
These little vanilla puddings, thickened with tapioca pearls, are subtly flavored with holiday spices and just the right amount of sweet. Coco recommends using homemade almond milk, but a good store-bought version will work very well in a pinch. Although they’re easy to put together, the almond/tapioca mixture needs to infuse overnight in the fridge so be sure to plan ahead.
2 cups almond milk
⅔ cup tapioca pearls
1 teaspoon whole cloves
11 cardamom pods
2 ½ cinnamon sticks
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
zest of 1 small orange to garnish, optional
1. In a large Tupperware or bowl with a lid, combine the almond milk, tapioca pearls, cloves, cardamom pods, and cinnamon sticks. Stir to combine well, then cover and place in the fridge for 12 hours.
2. The next day, use a slotted spoon to fish out the cloves, cardamom pods, and cinnamon sticks.
3. Pour the infused almond and tapioca mixture into a medium saucepan and add the remaining ingredients.
4. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for about 6 minutes, or until the liquid is quite thick. Turn off the heat but continue whisking vigorously – the mixture should continue to thicken and is ready when the whisk leaves marks as you lift it from the pudding.
5. Set aside and let cool to room temperature. Once cooled, use a powerful blender to blend until smooth. Chill thoroughly in the fridge before serving.
7. Serve with orange zest sprinkled over the top, if desired.