For a cold-weather cocktail that’s warming, a little bit sweet, and pleasantly spicy, this bourbon-spiked blend does the trick. Best of all, the persimmons can be puréed ahead of time; for a larger batch, double the maple-spiced simple syrup recipe.
1. Using a mortar and pestle, roughly crush the cloves, peppercorn, and cinnamon stick.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup and water together, bring to a boil, and stir the maple syrup so that it fully combines with the water.
3. Add the spices, turn off the stove, and cover to cool completely.
4. In a blender, purée the persimmons, lemon juice, and water together until smooth. Vigorously mash through a strainer. After straining, you will have about 1 cup of liquid.
5. To make the cocktail, combine the bourbon, brandy, persimmon purée, spiced maple syrup, and bitters in a cocktail shaker with ice. Cover and shake for about 15 seconds.
6. Strain the cocktail into a coupe glass. Top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with persimmon slice.
Recipe developed by Athena Calderone and Jenny Huang
Originally featured in 5 Tips for Holiday Entertaining at Home