This is the recipe that will convert you to the spatchcocked bird. It cooks faster and more evenly, and it ensures crispy skin all over (this includes thighs and legs—we’re looking at you, dark-meat fiends.) Plus it makes carving a real breeze.
1. Set the turkey breast side up on a wire rack set inside a baking sheet. Sprinkle the salt all over, including the back cavity side. Leave to brine in your fridge for 2 days, uncovered.
2. After 2 days, drain out any juices that may have accumulated in the tray. Rinse the tray, dry it, and line it with parchment paper. Let the turkey come to room temperature for 1 hour on your countertop.
3. Combine the herbs, zest, and ghee. Rub the ghee mixture all over the turkey and under the skin.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
5. Roast the turkey for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, rotating the pan once halfway through. Remove when the temperature is 165°F and the juices are running clear.
5. Let rest for 15 to 30 minutes before carving.