Soupe de Marrons (Chestnut and Mushroom Soup)
“This soup is perfect for colder or rainy days, which are numerous in Belgium. It is comforting, creamy without the use of cream, and has a sweetness to it that just does it for me.”
1 pound of chestnuts (I used jar ones)
6 ounces of cremini mushrooms
2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stem removed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
6-8 sprigs fresh thyme
6 cups chicken or veggie stock
1. Sauté the onion and garlic for one minute.
2. Add the mushroom and sauté for 5-7 minutes to release the flavor.
3. Add the chestnuts and thyme and mix gently, leave for another two minutes then add the stock.
4. Bring to boil, then simmer for one hour.
5. Put in food processor, add salt and pepper.
Originally featured in Craving & Cooking: Holiday Greats from Across the Pond