Get a digital scale—baking improves dramatically when you weigh your ingredients.
Six-Layer Chocolate Cake
This is crazy rich and decadent, but in a way that justifies the caloric splurge—it’s kind of the perfect solution for a homemade birthday cake.
for the cake:
573g all-purpose flour
188g cocoa powder
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
16 ounces buttermilk
8 ounces vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
16 ounces hot coffee
for the frosting:
1 pound powdered sugar
1 pound butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup corn syrup
2 tablespoons hot water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Turn the machine to low and mix well.
3. Slowly pour in the vegetable oil, scraping down the sides as needed.
4. Next, add buttermilk and eggs, mixing on medium speed until all ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth.
5. Slowly add hot coffee and when all is combined, pour into two greased 9″ cake pans.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Let cool on racks.
8. To make the frosting, wash out the mixing bowl, add softened butter and powdered sugar, and cream together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
9. Scrape down bowl, add cocoa powder and corn syrup, and mix for another 2 minutes.
10. Add hot water and mix until combined.
11. To assemble, slice each cake into three layers and spread a layer of frosting between each one, finishing with a layer on top.