Don't forget to grease and flour your pan—otherwise your cake will stick!
Sesame Almond Cake with Pear
This dense and delicious cake is just the right amount sweet. We like it for breakfast the next day, too.
¾ cup almond milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1 cup whole wheat pastry or all-purpose flour
¾ cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
⅔ cup sugar
½ cup tahini
¼ cup olive oil
2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ripe pears, sliced into wedges
¾ cup sliced almonds
1. Warm the oven to 350 degrees then grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
2. Mix the almond milk and lemon together and set it aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
4. In small bowl, whisk together the sugar, tahini, oil, extracts, and almond milk mixture, making sure that they are all well-combined.
5. Make a crater in your dry ingredients bowl and pour in the wet stuff. Fold it all together until it’s just combined, a couple lumps are okay.
6. Pour into the pan and gently place the pear slices over the top in a single layer. It’s cool if a few kinda sink in, don’t stress.
7. Cook for 15 minutes then quickly pull out the cake and cover the top evenly in the sliced almonds.
8. Bake for another 35-40 minutes or until it looks kinda golden and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out mostly clean.
9. Let it cool for at least 15 minutes before serving and dust with powdered sugar.