Courtesy of Valerie Aikman-Smith
This is a quick, easy, and delicious basic tomato sauce that can be dressed up with spices and herbs for pasta, stews, and pizzas. Use any kind of tomatoes that you like—it will make an array of prettily colored sauces.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Place all the ingredients in a large ceramic baking dish and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, stirring half way through.
3. Remove from the oven and take out the bay leaves. Rest the tomatoes for 10 minutes.
4. Reduce the oven heat to 250°F.
5. Place the tomato mixture in the blender and working in batches, turning the tomatoes either either smooth or slightly chunky depending on your preference.
6. Pour the sauce into the prepared sterilized jars leaving a ¼” space and screw the lids on. Tap the jars on the counter top to get rid of air pockets and wipe clean with a damp cloth. Place in the oven for 30 minutes to seal.
7. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. You will hear a pinging sound as each lid seals. Check to make sure that the center of the lid is concaved. (If a jar does not seal store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.)
8. Label and enjoy!
Originally featured in A Pickling & Canning Guide