This is classic Italian comfort food (“risi e bisi” literally means “rice and peas”) made over for summer. It’s the perfect combination of raw and cooked—it works great as a side dish or with a seven-minute egg for a main dish.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut the fennel and yellow onion into ¼-inch wedges and lay them on a baking sheet. Coat the fennel and onions liberally with olive oil and finish with salt.
3. Place in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes until caramelized (cooking time might vary depending on oven). Once done, pull from oven and let cool.
4. Over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium-size saucepan. Add the frozen peas and sauté until they start to get a little bit of color. Then remove from heat and place them in a bowl to cool.
5. In a medium-size bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing.
6. In a large bowl, combine the rice, caramelized onions, fennel, cooked peas, chopped snap peas, and mint. Stir until everything is well combined. When ready to serve, add the arugula and the dressing and incorporate with a wooden spoon until everything is well combined.
7. Plate and finish with a generous sprinkle of Aleppo pepper.
Originally featured in 5 Inspired Salads for Summertime