Pine Nut and Mushroom Salad
Earthy and complex, make this delicious mushroom salad in the fall when mushrooms are at their best.
for the tarragon and pine nut dressing:
8 teaspoons tarragon leaves
2 ½ teaspoons peeled shallot
1 ½ tablespoons pine nuts
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ cup water
½ teaspoon chopped chives
for the spicy pine nut mustard:
⅓ teaspoon ground black pepper
¾ cup toasted pine nuts
1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons finely diced shallot
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
½ teaspoon dried puya chile
9 ½ tablespoons water
for the pickled white beech mushroom:
3 tablespoons white beech mushrooms, separated
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 pinch of salt
5 large handfuls of red frilly mustard, any wild greens, or chicory
10 tablespoons oyster mushroom clusters
10 tablespoons shiitake mushroom pieces
10 tablespoons maitake clusters
2 tablespoons silver dollar mushrooms, peeled and shaved
2 tablespoons raw enoki mushrooms
3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1. To make the tarragon and pine nut dressing, blend all ingredients except the chives on high speed in a powerful blender until very smooth. Mix in chives and store in the fridge until ready to use.
2. For the pine nut mustard, blend everything except water on high speed in a powerful blender until as smooth as possible. Add water as needed just to emulsify the oils.
3. For the pickled mushrooms, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and let sit 15 minutes.
4. To finish the dish, place shiitake and oyster mushrooms in a cold sauté pan lined with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Turn on the flame to medium heat and cook slowly, until the mushrooms start weeping liquid and are just cooked through.
5. Divide the greens between 10 plates and drizzle pine nut dressing over each pile. Spoon small mounds of the pine nut mustard around the plate, then arrange all of the cooked, raw, and pickled mushrooms on top. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts to finish.
Originally featured in DIY Recipes from the Matador Room