Olive Oil and Herb Popcorn
We love using hearty herbs like thyme and rosemary in this recipe (giving them a rough chop helps release their essential oils before you add them to the hot popcorn), but you can play around with other aromatics, like toasted chili flakes, lemon zest, or fennel pollen.
1 tablespoon + ¼ cup olive oil
½ cup non-GMO popping corn
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon rosemary
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large metal pasta pot (or similar) over medium-high heat.
2. Add 2 corn kernels to test the oil temperature, cover with the lid (leaving it slightly ajar), and cook until the kernels pop. (When they pop, the oil is ready.)
3. Add the popping corn and cook with the lid slightly ajar, shaking the pot every 30 seconds or so, until almost all of the corn has popped (you’ll know because there will suddenly be much longer breaks between popping sounds). Cover with the lid and turn off the heat while you prepare the seasoning.
4. Roughly chop the herbs and combine with the salt, pepper, and remaining olive oil.
5. Place the popcorn on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and herb mixture. Toss to coat evenly.
Originally featured in Family Movie-Night Treats