From Chef Zoe Nathan of Huckleberry in LA, her mother’s recipe for a traditional breakfast/brunch treat.
1. Preheat your oven to 475°F/245°C.
2. Make a 1-in/2.5-cm hole in the center of each slice of bread.
3. In a large ovenproof sauté pan, melt the butter and add the bread; cook until brown. Flip the bread and carefully crack an egg into each hole. Quickly sprinkle each slice of bread, not the egg, with 1 tbsp brown sugar.
4. Immediately transfer to the oven to bake. Don’t try to brown the second side on the stove, that will happen all by itself in the oven. Bake until the egg white sets, but the yolk is quite runny, 6 to 8 minutes. But check your egg at 5 minutes, as a firm yolk ruins the pleasure of this simple dish.
5. Sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel.
Originally featured in The goop Cookbook Club: Huckleberry