Molten Chocolate Cakes
These are especially great because you can make the batter ahead of time and refrigerate it, just increase the baking time by 2 minutes.
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, plus more for the ramekins
1 1/2 oz. chocolate
1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus 1 teaspoon
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons crème fraîche
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Generously butter two 4 oz. ramekins.
3. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a small glass bowl set over a small pot of simmering water.
4. Let it cool a bit while you whisk together the egg, egg yolk and 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar in a separate bowl. Whisk in the melted butter and chocolate and then the flour.
5. Fill the ramekins and bake for 7 minutes. The edges and top should be just set.
6. Meanwhile, whisk the crème fraîche together with the remaining teaspoon of confectioners’ sugar and the vanilla.
7. Remove the cakes from the oven, let them cool for a few minutes.
8. Invert onto dessert plates and serve each with a spoonful of crème fraîche.
Originally featured in Valentine's Day