If you like matcha, you’ll love this ice cream. Made with a classic custard base and sweetened with coconut sugar, this creamy, antioxidant-packed treat is our new favorite afternoon pick-me-up.
1. Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl (save the whites to make pavlovas).
2. Place the heavy cream in a large bowl with a strainer sitting on top. Pass the matcha through the strainer into the heavy cream.
3. Heat the whole milk, coconut sugar, and a pinch of sea salt in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to help dissolve the sugar.
4. Just before the mixture reaches a simmer, turn off the heat and slowly pour it into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
5. Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a spatula and scraping the bottom of the pan, for about 8 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened slightly and coats the back of your spatula.
6. Pour the custard through the strainer (and into the matcha-cream mixture) and stir to combine.
7. Place the bowl in an ice bath to cool the ice cream base quickly, then let chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
8. Churn the chilled base in ice cream maker until thick and frozen, about 20 to 30 minutes.
9. Eat immediately or transfer to a freezer-safe container and store in the freezer until ready to eat.
Originally featured in 3 Double-Scoop-Worthy Ice Cream Recipes