Linguine con le Vongole
Mario Batali shares his version of the classic Linguine con le Vongole (Linguine with clam sauce).
1 pound dried linguine
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, sliced
1 pound small clams, such as manila, or cockles, scrubbed
1 tablespoon red chili flakes (optional)
1 cup dry white wine
1 bunch italian parsley
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1. Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil. Salt the water. Drop the linguine into the boiling water.
2. While pasta cooks, make the sauce. In a 12- to 14-inch sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the sliced garlic.
3. Cook the garlic until it’s fragrant. Before the garlic gets too brown, add in the clams. Add the chili flakes and white wine. Cover the pan and cook until the clams steam open.
4. While cooking, coarsely chop parsley, including stems.
5. Drain the linguine when it is one minute short of the cooking time on the package instructions and put it in the sauté pan with the clams. Toss the pasta in the pan to allow it to absorb the broth.
6. Remove any unopened clams. Add parsley and toss together. Serve the pasta. Finish with a pinch of chiles.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali Cooks!