If we’re not drinking beer with our Vietnamese food, we always order limeade, lemonade’s cooler sibling. In our version, we make a ginger-infused simple syrup for a little extra kick.
1 4-inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup + 3 cups water
1 cup fresh lime juice
1. To make the ginger simple syrup, combine sugar, chopped ginger, and ¾ cup water in a small saucepan over medium high heat.
2. Bring the mixture up to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Once sugar is dissolved, turn off the heat, cover, and let steep for 30 minutes.
3. Strain and cool to room temperature.
4. Combine cooled simple syrup, lime juice, and remaining 3 cups water.
5. Serve chilled or over ice.
Originally featured in An End of Summer Picnic