“These biscuits are so soft and buttery, they literally melt in your mouth. They look like they require lots of effort but take little to no time to make.” —Cox
To make the biscuits:
1. Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.
2. Put the butter and icing sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer if you have one—or into a large mixing bowl if you are using an electric hand whisk—and beat together until light in colour and fluffy. Add the vanilla and salt and mix until fully incorporated.
3. Add the flour, corn flour, baking powder, and lemon zest and mix until just combined and a smooth dough is formed—try not to overmix.
4. Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe swirls of the dough onto the lined baking trays. You should be able to pipe between 12 and 16 biscuits from the batter. Place the trays into the freezer for 30 minutes before baking—this will ensure they hold their shape when baked. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160°C (315°F) fan.
5. Once the biscuits have had their time in the freezer, bake them for 12 minutes, or until they are lightly golden on the edges—they don’t want to be dark in colour. Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool fully on the trays.
To make the lemon curd:
1. Put the lemon juice and soya milk in a pan with 50 milliliters (1¾ fluid ounces) water and set over a low to medium heat. Mix the sugar and corn flour together in a bowl, then add to the pan. Continually whisk the ingredients in the pan over a medium heat, adding the turmeric for the yellow colour.
2. Whisk until the mixture starts to thicken and it coats the back of a spoon—it will set more as it cools but it still wants to be pourable. Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the vegan butter until fully incorporated. Pour the finished curd into a bowl to cool.
To make the American buttercream:
1. Cut the vegan block into cubes, then place it into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment if you have one—or into a large mixing bowl if you are using an electric hand whisk. Mix on high speed until the butter looks creamy.
2. Add the icing sugar, milk, and vanilla extract and mix with a wooden spoon until the icing sugar is combined slightly with the butter (this just stops the icing sugar from going everywhere), then use the machine or electric whisk again to beat on high until fully combined.
3. Continue to beat the icing for another few minutes until it looks very soft and light—the longer you beat it, the fluffier it becomes, meaning it is a much nicer texture to eat.
To make the filling and assemble:
1. Combine half the buttercream with the lemon juice. Spoon the lemon buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
2. Once the biscuits are cool, pipe a swirl of buttercream onto half of the biscuits, then spread a teaspoon of lemon curd onto the other half. Sandwich the biscuits together so they are filled with both lemon curd and buttercream. Enjoy!
Adapted from the book Simply Vegan Baking by Freya Cox. Copyright © 2022 by Freya Cox. Published by Harper Design, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Reprinted by permission. Photo by Clare Winfield.
Originally featured in 3 Simple Vegan Desserts