Harissa, a Middle Eastern blend of chilies, garlic, oil, and spices, lends incredible flavor to anything from chicken to veggies to aioli. Here, we slather it over eggplant before grilling, then serve with a tangy, herby yogurt sauce.
2 medium eggplants
¼ cup harissa paste
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
for the yogurt sauce:
¼ cup whole milk yogurt
juice of 1 lime
3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
1 small clove garlic, finely minced or grated
salt to taste
1. Slice the eggplant into 1-inch rounds.
2. Combine the harissa paste, olive oil, and salt and rub the mixtureall over the eggplant slices.
3. Grill over medium-high heat until charred and tender, about 10 minutes.
4. While the eggplant cooks, make the yogurt sauce. Mix together the first 4 ingredients and season with salt to taste.
5. Drizzle the yogurt sauce over the grilled eggplant and garnish with extra chopped cilantro.
Originally featured in Middle Eastern–Inspired Recipes to Grill All Summer Long