Feel free to cook the bacon more or less depending how crispy you like it.
Grilled BLT Salad
Who doesn’t love a BLT, especially when it includes avocado? This, our hearty salad version of the classic sandwich, makes a really satisfying dinner or post-workout lunch. Plus the dressing is killer—really delicious spread on sandwiches or used as a dip for crudité.
4 slices thick cut bacon
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into two thin paillards
salt and pepper
2 medium romaine hearts, cleaned, dried, and cut in half vertically
16 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
¼ cup breadcrumbs, toasted in a small pan with olive oil, salt, and pepper
for the dressing:
½ large or 1 small avocado, diced
1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced
20 basil leaves, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons vegenaise
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place bacon slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 10 minutes, or until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
3. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and season each chicken paillard with a little olive oil and some salt and pepper. Grill for 3 minutes on each side, or until very firm to the touch. Remove to a plate or cutting board to cool before dicing.
4. To make the dressing, combine the first 6 ingredients in a powerful blender and blitz until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. To finish the salad, toss the romaine halves in a little olive oil and season the cut sides with salt and pepper.
6. Heat the grill pan over medium-high heat and cook the lettuce, cut side down, for about 2 minutes (you want the lettuce to get a little char but still retain some crunch). Place two romaine halves on each serving plate and top with diced chicken, cherry tomatoes, and crumbled (or chopped) bacon. Pour over some of the dressing and sprinkle over the toasted breadcrumbs for crunch.
7. Serve with extra dressing on the side.