This salad calls for a lot of chopping, but it’s worth it. There’s something about the creamy pesto, fresh greens, and briny capers and artichoke hearts that really brightens up this salad. Make extra crackers to use as a garnish for soup or to up your salad-topping game. (If you’re in the LA or OC area, you can order this dish from goop Kitchen.)
To make the salad:
1. Take the steamed artichoke hearts and cut them into bite-size pieces. Toss them with the chopped capers and parsley and season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Set aside until you’re ready to assemble the salad.
2. In another small bowl, toss the drained chickpeas and with the pesto. This can be done in advance and kept in the refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Lay a bed of lettuce on a serving plate and top with the artichoke hearts, chickpeas, haricots verts, cucumbers, and avocado. Top with the dressing and crumbled crackers (see below) for crunch.
To make the dressing:
1. To make the lemon-caper dressing, combine the lemon zest and juice in a mixing bowl. Add the chopped capers, Dijon mustard, shallot, and champagne vinegar and whisk together. While continuously whisking, drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil and whisk until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can make this in advance and keep it in the fridge until ready to use.
To make the crackers:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper. Lightly drizzle a little olive oil on the parchment paper so the crackers don’t stick. Mix the next 4 ingredients together.
2. Carefully add the water and mix to combine. Once fully incorporated, spread the seed mixture onto the pan in one even layer. Top the seeded mixture with the everything-bagel seasoning and bake for about 1 hour, until completely dried and crunchy.
Originally featured in The Annual New Year Detox: 2024 Edition