This is my new french fry method. It takes a little effort, but they turn out consistently crispy and delish.
4 large potatoes (russets or another floury potato work well, just nothing waxy)
8 to 10 cups vegetable oil
1. Peel then slice the potatoes to your liking.
2. Soak the potatoes for up to an hour, changing the water about 3 times throughout when it gets cloudy.
3. Steam for 8 minutes in a steamer (a bamboo basket would work as well). Dry super well—potatoes should be completely dry.
4. Fry in small batches in peanut oil at 320°F for 4 minutes or so. Take them out of the oil and let them cool. Drain on a grate on top of a baking sheet (I use one from Williams-Sonoma).
5. When they are all done and cool, turn up the oil to 370°F and fry again till crispy.
6. Serve in an oversize coffee mug lined with parchment. Salt well.
Originally featured in The Lobster Roll