Farro Salad with Preserved Lemon & Herbs
A veggie-packed grain salad is perfect for traveling: It’s filling, healthy, and actually tastes better at room temperature. We love the added brightness of preserved lemon rind, but don’t stress if you can’t find it—this salad is delicious without. Add some grilled chicken or salmon for extra protein.
½ bunch lacinto kale, washed, dried, and ribs removed
2 cups cooked farro
½ pound English peas, shelled
1 large zucchini, cut into ¼-inch dice (about 1 ½ cups)
1 cup cucumber, diced into ¼-inch cubes
3 ½ oz feta cheese, crumbled
½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
6 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 preserved lemons, rinsed under cold water and dried
3 tablespoon mint leaves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
salt and pepper
1. Thinly slice kale into ribbons and combine in a large bowl with farro, shelled peas, zucchini, cucumber, feta, and Aleppo pepper.
2. Pour in red wine vinegar and olive oil and toss to coat all ingredients.
3. Use a sharp knife to cut the flesh from the rind of your preserved lemon. Discard the flesh and cut the rind into a very small dice (about 1/8-inch).
4. Fold preserved lemon rind, chopped mint, and chopped dill into the farro mixture.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add more olive oil or red wine vinegar if needed.
Originally featured in The Perfect Travel Meal