Eggplant with Garlic and Chili
Satisfy your spicy eggplant craving without the sugar-y, gluten-y sauce. This recipe is dead simple, and it’s the perfect hearty veg to round out your DIY Chinese take-out night.
4 Japanese eggplants, sliced in half lengthwise
¼ cup sambal olek
4 garlic cloves, grated
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Toss the eggplant with about ¼ or so of olive oil and a generous pinch of salt. Lay them flat, cut side up on a parchment lined baking sheet. Let them roast in the oven for about 25 minutes, until they begin to brown and the flesh becomes tender.
3. While they roast combine the sambal olek and the garlic.
4. After the 25 minutes, remove the eggplant and spread the mixture on the cut side of the eggplants, it should be about a teaspoon per eggplant. Put back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until caramelized to your liking.
5. To serve, top with scallions.