When you’re sick, sometimes the most comforting thing is a hot and delicious bowl of porridge. Super quick and simple to prepare, this is a great dish to add to your arsenal.
1. Combine the rice, water, and sea salt in the donabe. Cover with a lid and set over medium-high heat. As soon as it starts boiling (about 15 minutes), turn down the heat to medium-low. Stir with a wooden spatula and make sure the rice is not sticking to the bottom.
2. Slide the lid slightly to leave a small open space. Gently simmer for 12 minutes (the surface of the mixture bubbles gently but not loudly), or until the mixture is smooth and slightly thickened. Meanwhile, stir occasionally to make sure the rice is not sticking to the bottom.
3. Uncover and add the tofu. Turn up the heat to medium and bring back to simmer. Add the eggs and break the yolks with the spatula. Gently stir so they are incorporated into the rice. Once the eggs are cooked to your desired doneness, remove from the heat.
4. To make the roasted sesame topping, combine the sesame seeds and chives in a small bowl.
5. To serve, scoop a desired amount of rice into a rice bowl. Enjoy with the sesame topping and/or shio-kombu topping.