Eat these for breakfast or an afternoon snack with tea. If you’re not completely eliminating dairy, these are pretty great with jam and clotted cream.
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 large eggs
1 cup currants
for egg wash (optional):
1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place dry ingredients in bowl and mix to combine.
3. Whisk together all wet ingredients and stir into dry ingredients; add currants.
4. Form dough into a ball, place between two pieces of parchment paper, and roll out until it is roughly two inches thick.
5. Use a cup or 2-3 inch circular biscuit cutter and press into dough to make 12 scones.
6. Place round disks on a baking sheet, brush with eggs wash* (if desired) and bake 15 minutes.
* for the egg wash, beat together the egg and water with a small whisk or fork.
Originally featured in The Best New Gluten-Free Bakery: Sweet Laurel