This makes a lot of chili, so feel free to halve the recipe or freeze leftovers for a busy weeknight dinner.
Crockpot Veggie Chili
This chili, inspired by the one in GP’s first cookbook, gets a little added sweetness and lovely texture from sweet potato. Popular among kids and adults alike, this is perfect party food.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
1 large carrot, finely diced
½ red bell pepper, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt, to taste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon each chili powder and chipotle powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed with your hands
1 cup dried cannellini beans
1 cup puy lentils
finely diced red onion, optional
sour cream, optional
grated cheddar cheese, optional
fresh cilantro, optional
1. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan or dutch oven (or the crockpot over high heat if it is a multi-cooker) over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5-7 minutes.
2. Add carrot, bell pepper, garlic, and a large pinch of salt and sauté another 5 minutes.
3. Transfer vegetables to the crockpot (or switch to slow cook function), add spices, diced sweet potatoes, crushed tomatoes, beans, and lentils.
4. Fill the tomato can with water and add to the crockpot along with 2 more cups of water.
5. Set the crockpot to the slow cook high setting and cook for 6 hours.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with minced red onion, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and fresh cilantro.