These flour-free coconutty squares are like posh gummies: sweet and chewy, with just enough orange blossom.
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange blossom extract
2¼ cups + ¼ cup shredded coconut, divided
1. Mix the sugar and water in a small pot and simmer over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has a thick syrup consistency.
2. Let the sugar syrup cool to room temperature.
3. Add the orange blossom extract and lemon juice; stir to mix.
4. In a large mixing bowl, mix the shredded coconut with the syrup mixture.
5. Coat a small sheet pan with a dusting of shredded coconut. Using a spatula, spread the coconut mixture in the pan (a thickness of about ¾ inch is ideal). Spread another coating of shredded coconut on top to finish (the top and bottom coatings will help later with cutting the squares and removing them from the pan, as the mixture is very sticky).
6. Cover with plastic wrap and use your measuring cup to evenly flatten the surface.
7. Cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
8. Remove the plastic wrap. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1×1-inch squares. Remove squares from pan, using your spatula.
9. Can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
Originally featured in The Prettiest (and Tastiest) Holiday Cookies from Designer Behnaz Sarafpour