Cleaned-Up 7-Layer Dip
We love a good 7-layer dip, but because the classic version—loaded with cheese and sour cream—can be hard on the digestive system and the waistline, we developed a healthier version. Totally addictive, this dip satisfies the craving without weighing you down.
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground chipotle powder
2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
6 whole stalks cilantro + ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
¾ cup water
2 large or 3 small or medium avocados
juice of 1 lime
1 small container whole milk greek yogurt
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
plantain chips, to serve
1. Combine the black beans, cumin, chipotle powder, garlic, 6 stalks of cilantro, water, and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
3. Remove the cilantro stalks and garlic and use a potato masher to break up the beans. Set aside to cool.
4. Meanwhile, smash the avocados with a fork in a small bowl until mostly smooth. Add the lime juice and season to taste with salt.
5. To assemble, spread half of the bean mixture into a small baking dish (8×6-inch or similar).
6. Top with half of the avocado mixture, half the yogurt, half the sliced scallions, and half the tomatoes. Sprinkle the tomatoes with a little sea salt, then repeat all the layers, finishing with the tomatoes.
7. Garnish the dip with chopped cilantro and serve with plantain chips.
Originally featured in Clean Swap: 7-Layer Dip