It’s a classic taste sensation—creamy Dijon mustard, herbs, and orzo. This one-pan wonder is perfect midweek or for feeding friends over the weekend.
1. Marinate the chicken in 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and Dijon mustard as well as the dried Italian herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper for at least 30 minutes or, ideally, overnight.
2. In an ovenproof pan, add another tablespoon of olive oil and sear the marinated chicken for a few minutes on each side until it has a nice brown color. Once seared, remove the chicken from the pan.
3. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and a knob of butter to the pan. Fry the onion and garlic until fragrant, then add the orzo. Sauté the orzo for a few minutes to give the pasta a nice nutty flavor.
4. Pour in the chicken stock, remaining tablespoon of Dijon mustard, and cream; let simmer for 1 minute; and season with salt and pepper. If you wish, add the fresh tarragon and thyme for extra flavor.
5. Place the seared chicken back into the pan with the orzo mixture. Bake the entire dish at 350°F (180°C) for approximately 12 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
6. Serve and enjoy.
Originally featured in Cozy, Comforting Recipes from Chef Josh Emett