One of my all-time favorite cookies for their warming spice and chewy texture, with a little bite from crystallized ginger, these will quickly become one of your holiday staples. Molasses and maple sugar give an unparalleled depth of flavor, and these cookies just so happen to be vegan. They’ll stay moist and chewy for several days, so go ahead and make a whole bunch to share…or not.
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chia seeds and water. Let sit until thickened, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the oil, molasses, and maple sugar until uniform.
2. Add the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until uniform. Cover the dough and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oven to 325°F with a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Scoop the dough into 1-ounce balls and roll them in the extra maple sugar. Place them on the baking sheet, spaced about 2 inches apart. Transfer to the oven and bake until set, about 25 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet. Repeat with any remaining dough.
5. Enjoy when cooled or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Originally featured in Deceptively Easy Holiday Desserts for Every Party on Your Calendar