Broccoli and Spinach Tortilla
So apparently José gets it that when broccoli and cheddar cheese get together, good things happen—and that spinach can then go along for the ride. The result: A healthy snack that kids will actually want to eat.
4 large broccoli florets, boiled, drained well, chopped into small pieces
½ cup fresh spinach, blanched, drained well, and chopped into small pieces
¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
tomato sauce, for serving
1. Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk with a fork until beaten and light in color, about one minute. Add the broccoli and spinach, stir well, then add the cheese.
2. Heat the olive oil in a 6-inch sauté pan over high heat. When the oil begins to smoke slightly, remove the pan from the heat and pour in the egg-vegetable mixture. Return the pan to the stovetop and reduce the heat to low.
3. Once the edges of the omelet begin to set, run a spatula around the edge of the eggs and shake the pan vigorously for 10-15 seconds to prevent them from sticking.
4. Flip the tortilla when the edges are cooked but the center has not set by placing a plate over the pan and inverting the pan and plate together so the tortilla ends up on the plate, uncooked side down.
5. Add a splash more olive oil to the pan and slide the tortilla back into the pan, uncooked side down. Continue cooking for another 30 seconds, then remove from the heat and let cool.
6. Cut into quarters and serve with tomato sauce.