Whether you’re making snacks, or boiling an egg to throw in a bowl of ramen, there’s actually an art to getting it right.
1. Fill a small saucepan three-quarters full with water and bring to a boil.
2. Using a spoon, gently slide in the egg and set your timer.
* For a soft-boiled egg with set whites and a liquid yolk set for six minutes. This is what you want for ramen, or eggs & soldiers.
* For a perfectly hard-boiled egg with a slightly soft center set for nine minutes. This is what you want for salad niçoise.
* For a completely cooked through yolk set for ten minutes. This is what you want for egg salad, a snack, or deviled eggs.
3. Keep an eye on the water while the egg cooks, and try to maintain a soft boil.
4. When the timer goes off, remove the egg to an ice water bath for one minute to stop the cooking.
5. Crack, peel, and enjoy.
Originally featured in How To...Cook an Egg