Whether you’re making snacks, or boiling an egg to throw in a bowl of ramen, there’s actually an art to getting it right.
1. Fill a small saucepan three-quarters full with water and bring to a boil.
2. Using a spoon, gently slide in the egg and set your timer.
* For a soft-boiled egg with set whites and a liquid yolk set for six minutes. This is what you want for ramen, or eggs & soldiers.
* For a perfectly hard-boiled egg with a slightly soft center set for nine minutes. This is what you want for salad niçoise.
* For a completely cooked through yolk set for ten minutes. This is what you want for egg salad, a snack, or deviled eggs.
3. Keep an eye on the water while the egg cooks, and try to maintain a soft boil.
4. When the timer goes off, remove the egg to an ice water bath for one minute to stop the cooking.
5. Crack, peel, and enjoy.