You could also toss whatever leftover roasted veggies you have in the refrigerator right into this salad.
Balsamic Lentil Salad
We love this combination of raw and roasted vegetables. It has such great texture, and the balsamic Dijon lentils are perfectly tangy against the sweet blistered tomatoes.
1 cup black beluga lentils, cooked
1 medium zucchini, cubed
1 large or 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
10 cherry tomatoes, blistered
½ cup finely chopped red cabbage
2 heaping cups organic arugula
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
pinch salt and pepper
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1. Cook lentils according to package directions, and place in fridge to cool.
2. To roast the vegetables, preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the diced zucchini and carrots in olive oil, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 10 minutes, just until al dente.
3. To blister tomatoes, toss them in olive oil with a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar. Place in an oven-safe dish and roast for 10 minutes at 400°F, just until blistered.
4. To make the balsamic Dijon dressing for the lentils, simply mix the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt, and pepper in a container and whisk. Toss the cooled lentils in this mixture.
5. Layer the prepared ingredients in a jar (if preparing in advance) or add to a bowl, serve with the dressing of your choice, and top with walnuts.