This makes extra pickled red onions—throw them in a wrap or on a salad.
Avocado Tostadas with Pickled Red Onions
These tostadas are a great after-school snack or easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love. If you don’t have time to fry the tortillas, you can buy pre-made tostadas at most grocery stores.
1 red onion, thinly sliced
juice of 2 limes
¾ teaspoon kosher salt + extra for seasoning
¼ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon sugar
10 corn tortillas
½ cup (or as needed) avocado oil
1 14-ounce can organic refried black beans
4 ripe avocados, thinly sliced
¾ cup of your favorite salsa
½ cup crumbled queso fresco
1. First, make the pickled onions. Combine the sliced red onion, lime juice, ¾ teaspoon salt, chili powder, and sugar in a medium bowl. Toss together and let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Heat the avocado oil in a medium sauté pan with high sides (you want the oil to come about ½-inch up the sides). When the oil is hot (you’ll know it’s ready if you dip a corner of a tortilla in and it immediately starts bubbling), add one tortilla at a time and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
3. As you fry the tortillas, remove them to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and season immediately with salt.
4. Heat the black beans up in a small saucepan until just warm, adding a little water to thin them as needed.
5. To assemble, divide the black beans between the ten tostada shells. Top with sliced avocado and season with a little salt.
6. Top with pickled onions, a drizzle of salsa, and crumbled queso fresco.