1813 Montrose Ave., North Center
This ice cream parlor and candy shop dates back to 1921 when it was founded by Peter George Poulos, but it didn't get it's name until 1933 when Poulos's son married a woman named Margie Michaels. Currently, the fourth generation is learning the ins and outs of the dessert-making biz. In addition to the original location in Logan Square, which is packed with old-timey memorabilia, there's this second location in North Center, which was opened by Christina Poulous, wife of the third Peter Poulos. The menus vary slightly between locations but include classic sandwiches (egg salad, ham, grilled cheese, PB&J), dizzying (in the best way) sundae combinations, shakes, sodas, homemade candy, and fudge.