Food & Home
Spiced Tomato and Shrimp Bisque
“A warming tomato and coconut bisque is used as a poaching liquid to make succulent shrimp. Paired with baby kale leaves and grounding brown rice, it creates a satisfying, hearty, and nutrient-rich dish that hits the spot.”
2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 medium shallot, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
1 thumb-size piece ginger, roughly chopped
1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
¼ fresh cayenne pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped, or ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (13.5-ounce) can full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
1 (16-ounce) jar roasted red peppers
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
juice of 1 lime, plus lime wedges for serving
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 handfuls baby kale or roughly chopped dinosaur kale
1 pound jumbo wild shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 to 2 cups cooked brown rice, for serving
1 handful fresh cilantro, for serving
1 handful fresh basil, for serving
1. In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the shallot, garlic, ginger, carrot, and cayenne pepper to the pot. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and their juices, coconut milk, and roasted red peppers to the pot. Reduce the heat and bring to a simmer. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and juice of 1 lime. Let the mixture simmer for 10 to 30 minutes.
4. Remove the bisque from the heat and, using a hand blender, purée until smooth (if you don’t have a hand blender, you can transfer the contents to a standing blender). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Return the bisque to the heat and bring to a simmer. Add the kale and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
6. When ready to serve, add the shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
7. Serve with the rice, cilantro, basil, and a wedge of lime.
Excerpted from Foodwise. Copyright © 2023, Mia Rigden. Reproduced by permission of Simon Element, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
Originally featured in 3 Satisfying Weeknight Dinner Recipes from a Holistic Nutritionist