Pati Prema Dubroff’s Makeup Tips
It can be super fast and easy to get out the door and still look polished with minimal makeup. A little goes a long way—and making the extra effort is a big confidence booster. First thing is to find acceptance when you look in the mirror. The mind wants to focus on flaws. Ease into it by remembering the beauty of who you are.
Creamy textures are easiest to use and help keep skin moist and radiant-looking. Setting makeup with powder helps give longer wear and more definition.
Always remember to keep the powder light—unless you appear on camera. Powder can add years: It’s radiant, glowing skin that looks healthy and youthful.
1. First step is to even out the skin with the least amount of foundation or concealer. Focus on the center of the face—shadows around the nose, mouth, and under the eyes.
2. Add some cream blush (such as Estée Lauder’s Signature Silky Crème Blush) on the apples of cheeks. Pick a color similar to the color your skin changes to when you flush after some good exercise.
3. To define eyes quickly, use a dark (waterproof, if possible) pencil on the upper, inner rim of eyes. Try to keep it at the base of lashes. If you get any on your eyelid, give it a slight smudge.
4. To re-contour your eyes, use a pencil close to the same tone as your brows. Draw it into the crease of the eye and smudge. This adds tone and contour. The effect is a haze of shadow—not harsh at all.
5. Coat one or two layers of mascara on curled lashes.
6. Some people can really benefit from paying attention to the brows. Do yours need to be groomed? Filled in? Defined?
7. Finally, lightly dab some tinted lip balm or favorite lipstick on your lips.
This is the bare minimum to get you out the door and looking fabulous in just five minutes.
I love Epsom salt baths to detox, revive muscles, and de-puff skin. While in the bath, I use an exfoliating mitt (the kind used in Korean bath houses—you can get them at beauty supply stores, Asian markets, or health food stores). The exfoliation stimulates skin and leaves it soft and bump-free. After the bath, I slather my skin with extra virgin organic coconut oil. It is sold in jars at health food stores and literally melts on your skin.
1. Mix Turbinado sugar, olive oil, and coursely ground coffee to soften and cleanse pores.
2. Oatmeal and honey also work as a scrub to soften skin.
3. Aloe vera juice will reduce the redness of razor burn, irritations, and some rashes.
Other Skin Treatments:
To reduce the puffiness of morning eyes, place either a chilled spoon (keep in freezer) on the eye area or soak cotton pads with milk and rest on the eye area.
Also, help prevent wrinkles around the mouth with daily facial exercises. Pull exaggerated “O” and “E” (as if you were saying “Eeeee…”) shapes with your mouth for 30 seconds. Purse lips right, center, and left and hold each movement for 30 seconds. Repeat. Stick your tongue out as far as you can while keeping your eyes wide.
Tension in the face and jaw can make us look older and “mean.” These exercises relax and restore facial integrity.
Pati Dubroff has been obsessed with makeup since she was a very young girl. Today, she is one of the world’s most respected makeup artists. “Prema” is a Sanskrit word that means Divine Love and is the name her friends and family call her.