This sandwich impresses even the most dedicated carnivores. Full of flavor and super-satisfying, this is a lunchtime favorite in my house.
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 slices vegetarian bacon (you can find good brands made with tempeh)
8 slices organic sprouted whole grain bread (like Ezekiel)
1/2 cup Vegenaise (or your favorite mayonnaise)
freshly ground black pepper
2 very ripe tomatoes, sliced
1 ripe avocado, sliced
1 head baby gem lettuce or 1 heart of romaine lettuce, leaves separated
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook the vegetarian bacon for a minute on each side, just enough to warm it through and get it a bit browned.
2. Remove from the skillet and cut each slice in half.
3. Spread each slice of bread with a tablespoon of Vegenaise or mayonnaise and sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper.
4. Layer the bacon, tomato, avocado and lettuce on 4 slices of the bread and then sandwich with the remaining 4.
5. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
I discovered Organic Avenue a few years ago through a girlfriend who was about to do one of their fasts, and I joined her on the 5 day program. The result was pretty amazing and the juices and smoothies (esp. the coconut mylk and the cacao smoothie) were so...
The tamarind and date jam is rather involved and requires a pressure cooker, but if you substitute with a good-quality store-bought date or fig jam, these hors d'hoeuvres are actually pretty easy to put together. And SO good.
Owner and raw food expert Sarma Melngailis lends us a recipe from her first book, Raw Food Real World: "Our lasagna has been a best-selling dish at the restaurant since it opened. The sweetness of the tomatoes and the creaminess of the 'ricotta' create familiar flavors that appeal to...