Turmeric-Roasted Cauliflower with Coconut Lime Forbidden Rice
The colors of this dish are absolutely gorgeous; the golden cauliflower next to the inky black rice, studded with bright green lime zest and flashes of white coconut. The flavors are equally out of this world. Cauliflower is one of my absolute favorite vegetables, when it’s roasted, it turns sweet and nutty in a way that perfectly goes with the peppery, warm turmeric. Turmeric is one of the healthiest things you can put in your body (it has known anti-aging, anti-inflammation, and even anti-cancer properties) but you have to prepare it correctly to ensure that it’s bioavailable for your body; namely, it must always be served in conjunction with black pepper and a fat, like coconut oil. This recipe includes both of these things, with a dash of stomach-soothing ginger to boot! Forbidden rice, in addition to looking gorgeous, contains anthocyanin, the potent antioxidant that gives blueberries and blackberries much of their health benefits.
for the coconut lime forbidden rice:
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1 cup forbidden rice
zest of 1 lime
2 tablespoons flaked coconut
for the turmeric-roasted cauliflower:
1 cauliflower, stemmed and chopped into florets
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium pot, bring vegetable stock and coconut milk to boil; add forbidden rice and cover.
3. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and simmer until all liquid has been absorbed (about 30 minutes).
4. Remove from heat and uncover; add lime zest and coconut and stir until well distributed. Fluff with a fork before serving.
5. Meanwhile, rub the cauliflower with the coconut oil and all spices except for black pepper until it’s well coated. Place on a parchment-lined pan, keeping pieces from touching each other, for 20-30 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
6. Serve cauliflower with rice.