Make these for a special afternoon tea, or a special springtime dessert.
Strawberry Shortcake Sliders
A healthy twist on a classic we love, we make the biscuits with spelt flour instead of white, as spelt is said to be easier to digest.
2 1/2 cups white spelt flour plus more
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup organic vegetable shortening (or butter)
1/2 cup buttermilk plus more for brushing
1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
3 tablespoons agave syrup (nectar)
2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled, halved
2 tablespoons agave syrup (nectar)
1. Preheat oven to 475°.
2. Whisk 2 1/2 cups spelt flour and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Using fingertips, blend in the shortening; form a well in center of mixture.
4. Whisk 1/2 cup buttermilk, yogurt, and agave in a small bowl; pour into flour mixture; stir with a fork to blend.
5. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Knead 2 or 3 times to bring dough together. Press dough into a 3/4″-thick round. Using biscuit cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Gather scraps; repeat cutting until all dough is used.
6. Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet; brush with buttermilk.
7. Bake until golden brown and a tester inserted comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
8. Mix strawberries and agave in a medium bowl.
9. Drizzle vinegar over; toss.
10. Cut biscuits in half. Place 3 biscuit bottoms on each plate. Spoon whipped cream over each and top with strawberry mixture. Place biscuit tops over.
Originally published on Bon Appetit.
We worked with the team over at Mary Giuliani Catering to build an appropriately British menu for our Stella McCartney x goop party—from fish n’ chips, to tea sandwiches, sticky toffee pudding and more, done in party-friendly mini versions.