Spiced Pumpkin & Walnut Bread
You won’t miss the wheat or sugar here, with the maple syrup adding a perfect sweetness and the ginger and garam masala a piquant kick.
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1/3 cup water
1 cup real Vermont maple syrup
1/2 cup agave syrup
1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus a little for the pan
1 cup pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups white spelt flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 cup walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Whisk together the ginger, eggs, water, maple syrup, agave, oil, pumpkin and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
3. Sift in the flours, baking soda, salt, and spices. Stir together and fold in the walnuts.
4. Lightly grease a 9″ x 5″ x 3″ glass loaf pan.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake the bread until browned and a wooden skewer doesn’t have any batter stuck to it when you test it (about an hour and 10 minutes).
Triple-threat food stylist, recipe developer, and allergen-free cooking instructor Jeffrey Larsen shows us how to make the ultimate GF pie crust—with vegan variations. (Just replace the butter with an equal amount of Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, and replace the sour cream with 2 tablespoons of cold water.)
If you’ve ever been to Italy (or an Italian restaurant) in the summertime, you’ve undoubtedly seen melon and prosciutto. The sweet melon and the salty prosciutto compliment one another perfectly, and make a delightfully easy appetizer or first course. Our slight modification involves baking the prosciutto, which adds lovely...